Amozon

Monday, April 23, 2012

Say NO To Diets!!!!

So I have decided to quit calling what I am trying to do weight loss...I am just going to call it getting healthy.  The weight has not changed much.  It is very small steps here people.  However, on a good note my size and/or shape is changing! :)  It is also slow, but I see results and I am very happy with that.  I still have to work on the healthier eating.  I am slowing getting the whole family on board with it.  It's tough to change the way things are done, especially when it can be so different.  I am proud of my gang though!  They are doing great! 


A lot of the girls here at work are also "getting healthy" but I don't agree with the way most of them are doing things.  One "diet" several of them are trying is so strange.  They are allowed no sugar, dairy, many other restrictions.  They have to drink the diluted cranberry juice.  It is suppose to cleanse their system and help them lose weight.  Some are trying these shakes additives.  They replace 2 meals a day with them, (reminds me of the horrid Slim Fast).  Don't even get me started on the HCG and their 500 calorie a day plan.  Of course you lose weight with that, you are not eating enough to sustain your daily bodily functions!  Jenny Craig, Medi-fast, NutriSystem...WHATEVER!


                                                             


OK, so you see a plan that interests you and you think you can stick with it.  You start this program and BAM!  You lose weight, week after week, after a few months you are looking good!  You start to ween off of the "diet" and oops!  They weight comes back.  WTF?!  If you do not plan to eat Jenny Craig food for the rest of your life then it probably isn't going to give you the long term/life long results you are looking for.  Do you really want to drink shakes and frozen meals for the rest of your time on Earth?  I sure wouldn't want to!


The point I am making is simple, if you want to look good, feel great and stay that way...you have to find something you can live with.  And that might mean a complete life style change.  There is no such thing as a miracle diet, and diet is a word flung around way too much our of context.  The word diet, according to Merriam Webster is this:food and drink regularly provided or consumed habitual nourishment.  Diet is simply what you eat and should not be thought of as anything other than that.  No one needs to go on a diet, we are on one already.  You can modify your diet and make it healthier to achieve your nutritional goals.  Now do you get the point?







So, all of these girls out there trying the latest "diet" pill, HCg, new fad weight loss program...STOP IT WILL YA?! All you are doing is making someone rich while they ruin and dash your chances at health.  If you want to change the way your body looks, then DO IT!  You have to do it.  You have to make the choices.  You have to get off of your ass and exercise.  No one is going to do it for you.  You cannot get fit in 10 minutes a day/3 times a week, either on some of those stupid machines they advertise on TV.  I better not start on that rant right now.  Start slow, walk.  Walk a little, then a little more and then even more.  Then pick up the pace, faster with each passing week.  Before you know it, you might be ready to start running!  But don't let that scare you, you can do it!  Even if you never run and just continue to walk, you are still moving faster than the person still sitting on the couch!


I am not happy with my body, but I AM doing something about it.  There are people of all shapes and sizes at our gym.  I have mentally listed them in categories for my own sick and twisted needs.  I will share a few with you: 

-The average Joes...people like me and my family.  Not in the best of shape, but not totally out of shape.  We are there to make a positive change for ourselves.


-The peppy/naturally slender ones who are spend more time trying to look like they are working out than actually working out.  They can be spotted very easily. They are the ones who walk slow on the treadmill or pedal slow on the recumbent bikes, and read or talk/text on the phone.  They move so slow that they are actually wasting their time at the gym, and they very rarely sweat.  Its more of a social outlet for them. Oh, and they usually have the cutest outfits with coordinating shoes.




-The over achievers: these people NEVER smile, ever!  They are the most unapproachable  acting people in the whole gym.  They think their superior body condition gives them the right to be an a$$hole to most everyone else in the gym.  They can be men/or women. Sometimes it is hard to decided which of the two they are, but...in their defense, they work very hard on their body and they should be proud.  But they should also get a life and a personality.  They're not the only kids on the playground and bullying is overrated. Your big muscles do not entitle you to anymore respect than the rest of us.


-The-Wanna-Be-#@%$..they are a mix of the preppy/naturally slender and the over achievers.  They have worked hard on their bodies, but never alone!  They must travel in packs or as they call them "groups".  They are the first to try out the new trends and usually look rather silly afterwards.  Especially all of them with tramp stamps and upper arm tattoos.  They tend to think they look like Angelina Jolie, but in reality they could never be a bad ass, (neither could Angelina, truth be told). They too wear some cute clothes and have store bought tans and boobs.  When your body fat is as low as their's, no way in hell those things are real! 


-The Real Deal- These are the people that are or were once VERY over weight.  They have worked their A$$ off (literally) and without surgery.  They had the will to succeed and that is just what they have done.  They may not be very approachable at first, feeling a bit intimidated at, but usually become chatty and more friendly as time go one.  They love to share their story in hopes of inspiring others.  


So, that is my sad, sick judgmental side...take me or leave me, I will still be here to tell my story if you want to hear it.  I am doing the best I can, and I hope to improve upon that.  I know I will never have that dream body, but I am OK with that.  Most of what you see on TV is enhanced anyways, lol...but I will make the best of the body I have.  I will try to keep the junk out of it, and put in more of the good stuff.  I will pump my muscles and run my a$$ until it falls off, all in the name of health without taking the way out.  Peace out...

No comments:

Post a Comment